Click above for more information about the journal itself and to subscribe.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Meet the RDS Editorial Board...

Spring is just around the corner and there is lots of growing underway at RDS. One exciting change has been the expansion of our editorial team. I believe that new input from a variety of sources will make RDS grow into the unique academic journal it is destined to be. So without further ado, I am pleased to introduce the new Editorial Board for the Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal.


Associate Editor of Forums: Katie Aubrecht

Katie is sitting in a restaurant wearing a brown leather jacket and has a big smile.
Hi Everyone!

My name is Katie Aubrecht and I am a disability studies teacher and researcher in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. My current position is as a Canadian Institutes of Health Research Postdoctoral Fellow with the Department of Family Studies & Gerontology at Mount Saint Vincent University. I am also very fortunate to be working with the Canadian Disability Studies Association-Association Canadienne des Études sur l’Incapacité (CDSA-ACÉI) as the 2015 President. My work and activism focuses on the social construction of mental health and illness, and my current research uses critical disability studies and interpretive sociological theories and perspectives to understand the meaning of personhood within the context of dementia and dementia care. I have been a reviewer with RDS since 2012, and I am excited about the RDS transformation and to join the Editorial Board as Associate Editor of Forums. I look forward to receiving your submissions for forum articles and special calls on invited topics, conferences and other events, and contemporary issues in disability studies research, policy, education and practice. If you are interested in submitting to the Forums section and have any questions, please don’t hesitate to be in touch!

Associate Editor of Multimedia: Raphael Raphael
This is a black and white portrait of Raphael. He's wearing a collared shirt and suit coat. He is smiling.I am a film and media scholar focusing on the relationship of the body and media. My writing appears in Modern Language Association's Teaching Film (2012) and Transnational Stardom: International Celebrity in Film and Popular Culture (with Russell Meeuf) (2013).  I also write on issues in Educational Technology and am co-author (with Ginger Carlson) of Let's Get Social: The Educator's Guide to Edmodo (2015). I lecture at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and serve as Technology Faculty for the American Community Schools Athens, Greece. I am co-editor of the new journal DIS/ART: The Journal of Disability Culture and the Visual Arts (with Christopher Smit). My scholarship is also informed by my own practice as a digital artist.

I am excited to serve as Associate Editor of Multimedia for the Review of Disability Studies. I am particularly interested in submissions of film/video/digital media that address the contradictory nature of disability. Submissions in all genres are welcome.

Associate Editor of Research Articles and Essays: Timothy Lillie
 
I’ve been working with or for disabled people and their families since 1979. In the past few years my focus has turned to areas of faculty and university governance in the academy which might ensure an environment of opportunity for disabled people and disability scholars. I’ve found (so far) that the process is frustratingly slow, but not impossible. My undergraduate and graduate teaching continues, where the challenges are to ensure that future K-12 teachers are aware of students with disabilities and their families as due respect instead of charity, and think of disability as a part of their future work. I am trying, I hope, to clarify what the past can bring to disability studies in the future by being part of RDS. RDS is a journal that is open to the full range of ideas about disability; research and essays can serve to inform the future and illuminate the present.

Associate Editor of Creative Works: Maria Timberlake

I'm thrilled to be serving as associate editor of Creative Works as we transition from print to a web-based publication. Words, music, photos, drawings…all capture aspects of the human experience and contribute to making RDS so unique. I am an assistant professor in the Foundations and Social Advocacy Department at the State University of New York, Cortland and my career has included a wide variety of teaching, consulting, and conducting research all related to creating more inclusive schools and communities for and with, individuals with disabilities. I define inclusion first as a mind-set, a way of communicating who matters by always noticing who is represented and who is absent. I have been reading RDS for years and appreciate the variety of content and the exposure to disability perspectives from international contributors. The possibilities for making art and scholarship come alive through our new look is exciting. Follow RDS closely in the coming year!

Associate Editor of Research Articles and Essays: Jeremy Brunson

I have worked as an American Sign Language/English interpreter for over 20 years. My private practice focuses on interpreting in legal settings. My academic work explores the practice of sign language interpreting as a sociological phenomenon and has appeared in various journals and book chapters. I am excited to be an associate editor for the Research & Essays section of RDS and I look forward to working with authors whose submissions complicate identity, explore social relations, and articulate the effect of ableism and other work that contributes to the field of disability studies through empirical analysis.



No comments: